Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Donkey spoke, he listened...

I have been thinking about the story I read this morning, about Balaam and his donkey.  Balak, King of Moab, wanted Balaam to come and curse a people.  God told Balaam don't go, but the king was insistant, offering a reward.  God finally told Balaam he could go, BUT do only what I tell you to do.  Baalam set off for his journey on his donkey.  The donkey spooked, not once but three differents times because of an angel blocking his way.  Each time Baalam kicked the donkey.  Guess what the donkey did, he spoke.  He said, why are you doing this to me?  Have I been in the habit of treating you this way?  I am sure Balaam was freaking out because his donkey was talking.  Oh my, he was probably scared to death, then on top of that, God opened Balaam's eyes and he could see the angel standing in the road. The angel asked him, "why are you beating your donkey", I am here  to oppose your reckless ways.  Balaam fell face down and repented.

Good grief, how many times have I felt obstacles, not once, but several, before I realize that what I am going to do is not good for me!  God allows these obstacles for our own good.  Just like the donkey,  how many times do you think Balaam rode his donkey and never had any trouble.  He probably rode him daily.  It goes to show me, that if I routinely do certain things, and then I notice trouble, it just may be an angel standing in the road throwing obstacles.  I am trying to think back to give an example in my life.  Let's say, work-real estate.  I have had several deals fall apart this year, it has been a challenging year.  I have beat myself up thinking that what I had done was not enough.  Maybe, it was an angel, putting those obstacles in place so that the deal did fall apart.  Maybe, God was opposing a way that was not good for me.  Maybe, I can look back now, and thank God !  I believe I will replace maybe with surely, with confidence, without a doubt, God has a plan for me and if an obstacle appears, it is for my own good!  I will start thinking about that talking donkey!  (I can't help but think of Eddie Murphy's voice in Shrek).  hehe
Numbers 22:32-35
32 The angel of the LORD asked him, “Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me.] 33 The donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If it had not turned away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared it.”
34 Balaam said to the angel of the LORD, “I have sinned. I did not realize you were standing in the road to oppose me. Now if you are displeased, I will go back.”
35 The angel of the LORD said to Balaam, “Go with the men, but speak only what I tell you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails