Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lorri's Favorite Cornbread Dressing...

It is almost Thanksgiving and I know some of you will ask for this recipe... :)  I just finished making this myself... Cannot wait to eat this! :)
Lorri's Favorite Cornbread Dressing - Thanksgiving, Gobble-Gobble...
I found this recipe over 12 years ago in the Southern Living Magazine. I figured, since I was getting older and the oldest child, that I had better learn to make dressing. So, 12 years later, here we are and I still love it! So easy, here goes:

Melt 2 T butter in 13 x 9" pan at 425 degrees for 5 minutes.
Mix together 2 cups cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour, 2 t baking powder, 1 t baking soda, 1 t salt and
1 t sugar. Stir together 2 eggs and 2 cups buttermilk and add to dry ingredients. Stir hot butter into batter and pour batter into hot 13 x 9" pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Cool and crumble.

Melt 1 stick butter in skillet. Add (3) bunches of chopped green onions and 4 chopped celery ribs and saute until tender.
In large bowl, combine cornbread, 4 eggs, 1 (16oz) package of Pepperidge Farms Herb Seasoning Stuffing Mix, onion mixture from above and 6 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth.
Spoon dressing into lightly greased 13 x 9" and a 9" pan. Bake uncovered, 13 x 9" pan for 1 hour and the 9" pan for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Hint: I make the cornbread 2 days before Thanksgiving.  I cool, crumble and put in the refrigerator in a ziploc.  I  make this recipe the day before and bake the next morning. Can be frozen before baking, thaw in refrigerator for 8 hrs and bake.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails